Since 1879, one was studying in the stamp factory of Maligne the system of 'Taille-Douce'' or copper plate printing, delivered among others by the firm Maroni Paris. It was mr Mac Donald of Brussels,delegate of mr Bernard-Paris, allowed to place a printing machine for copper plates of the type Dujardin, for six months on trial.To make a test of the printing machine mr Mac Donald would make, under the control of the administration, drawings , stamps and of a motherplate for printing. These proofs would be made in the stamp factory of Maligne by Mac Donald . The Dujardin printing press would be in function at last at 10/6/1914.Delays in the deliverie of parts of the machine caused more delay in the making of the proofs. The project was stopped the 4/8/1914.
Mr John Mac Donald, living Boulevard Botanique nr 40 Brussels,was industrial and representatif of the copper plate firm Dujardin of Paris. In his correspondance of 28/5/1913 he referred to a deliverance of a printing machine to the Russian Government and one in Rome to the''Stablimento Poligraphico Italiana'. After months of negociations a contract was signed with the minister of postal offices.
After several difficulties with the installation of the press and the delays of deliverance mr Mac Donald aknowledges 15/7/1914 that printing only could start at the end of september 1914.
The reproduction of the portrait of the king, engraved in wood, was placed in the copper print of the frame by Mac Donald. While doing this the portrait was slightly damaged, what caused more delays, so the first day issue of 1/10/1914 was delayed.
On 11/7/1914 nine proofs in different colours were presented to the director general, to choose the colour fot the three new stamps of 1, 2 and 5c. The day of issue would be 20/10/1914.
On 4/8/1914 the first world war started . All activities were stopped, and only the plates with the portrait of the king were available. These typografical plates were probably used to make the red cross set little Albert, but then in Antwerp by Verschueren.
The second design of Mac Donald, ''The statue de M‚rode'' was available as a drawing. It was placed in the frame according to the same procedure as the portrait of the king. In the edges on the left and the right side stood originally a heraldiq lion, who was replaced by the red cross and the value.